Music Director Position Description
About Men of Note
Men of Note is a Community based Male Voice Choir built on a foundation of fellowship, community service and a mutual quest for musical excellence. We strive to provide entertainment, in the form of a wide variety of music, to enrich our community and to reach out to develop musical connections with other choirs, both across Canada and abroad.
Formed in 1999 with a group of 17 singers, 8 of whom are still members; Men of Note now numbers 32 choristers. The choir performs extensively throughout the GTA and Ontario, and tours regularly; past trips have included England, Scotland, France, Germany, Italy, Ireland, and the Maritimes, and the Travel Committee is now working on plans for an international tour in 2021.
Men of Note rehearse Monday evenings in Stouffville, from September through the end of June.
The successful candidate must be a talented conductor and musician, who can inspire and lead the choir members to a high level of musical performance. S/he will guide the overall artistic direction of MoN, leading each season’s repertoire and performance schedule. The Music Director reports directly to MoN’s Board of Directors.
Develop an artistic plan for each season, and select appropriate repertoire. Consult with the Concert Convenor and Treasurer to develop cost estimates and the Concert Approval Forms and present to the Board for approval.
- Work with the librarian to order all music
- Plan rehearsal and performance schedules in conjunction with the Board
- Plan and conduct rehearsals and performances for a 3-5 concert season
- Liaise with the concert coordinator for program and concert production
- Select and liaise with guest artists
- Able to travel on concert tours
- Attend and participate in meetings of the Board of Directors
- Advise the Board on hiring and managing artistic staff
- Assist with grant applications and fund-raising activities as required
This is a part-time position, to begin in September 2019. Salary will be commensurate with experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in music or higher
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience conducting choirs • Understanding of and proficiency in vocal technique
- Knowledge and familiarity of the repertoire for male voice choir
- Superior social, networking, and collaborative skills
- Excellent organizational skills
Interested applicants should submit the following materials by email to email@example.com:
- cover letter describing experience, and philosophy of conducting a community choir
- contact information for three references
We thank everyone for their interest in this position; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.